...of Jaunts and Journeys

Friday, May 16, 2008

Life in the Old City ....

First there was a ruckus in the street....
Then the bounty hunter came to town....
After more people got shot, the bounty hunter got the bad guy.

No, these photos weren't taken yesteryear in the 1800s. They were taken about 2 weeks ago during a visit to Old City Park. (It has since been renamed Dallas Heritage Village). This is a jewel of a tiny haven just south of all the cement and steel of the skyscrapered skyline of Dallas, Texas. They offer a glimpse of life as it was known in that bygone era. Most all the buildings and facilities are functional. By that I mean the blacksmith shop holds demonstrations, the print shop actually prints samples, the saloon serves [root] beer, the kitchens of the houses prepare and serve meals, and the farm houses actually grow crops. The photo above is the once-upon-an-era train depot for Dallas.


This bank building fascinated me! I walked inside and immediately felt a sense of calm sweep over me. I don't know if it is because I was born a few generations too late or what. Something triggered this enormous feeling of "going home". The squeaking wooden floors are incredible. The only alterations which have been made....granted, they are HUGE....have been the addition of air conditioning and electricity. I've said many times if I could take the internet and air conditioning with me, I'd gladly go back to the good old days!

A trip to the doctor's office would have been an adventure. Here is the apothecary portion of his office, where the powders and potions were measured and weighed. Made me think of the scene in It's A Wonderful Life when druggist Mr. Gower prepares the wrong medication and formulates a poison instead!

The porch and swing sent another whiff of "home" to me. It made it seem as if even the hottest of days could have been tolerated in the shade-cooled breeze of such a wrap-around porch.

No doubt the meals served here were just as tasty without the microwave, state-of-the-art stovetop oven combination, and designer placesettings!
How many Presidents and other statesmen were educated in a one-room classroom? Of note during the visit were the 38 stars on the flag. [And if I knew how to work the photo editing software better, I could have published these photos in sepia tones as they no doubt would have appeared in their day!]
The visit was marred only by the heat and humidity of the day. It was 92 degrees with a humidity to match. The first few days of those temperatures are always the roughest. By the end of the summer "only 92" will seem cool. This was our first 90+ day since last October.
Will be adventuring to a few places this weekend. Will share those as time permits.
Until the wanderlust is appeased....

No comments: