...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, October 02, 2010

TAKING A BREATH...

October? Already? Are you kidding? When did that happen??

September was a long month; one which I'm glad is over! It signified many things, most of which were quite unpleasant. However, a few bright spots managed to make a presence.

One day at the office a week or so ago we had a visitor in our building. SANTA!!! After assuring him I'd been a really good girl this year I asked if I could take his picture. He complied and I was happy. (Santa was there to appear in a photo another tenant was making to use as a Christmas card).


After not having been on an adventure in weeks I threw caution to the wind and set out to Lake Lavon, a lake in the general area but which was unexplored territory. Imagine seeing a camel near the lake. There was actually a sign on the fence which read "Pet the Camel $10.00". Decided a free picture was more in line with my budget.


I've concluded that in a "former life" (not that I believe in such things, but if it is a possibility), I was a farm girl. There is something so soothing and appealing about cattle. Their low, bawling calls are pleasing to my ears. A scene such as this makes me sigh with contented peace. This bull was showing off his favorite gal by the fence as we drove past.


We ended up in a small town to which I'd never ventured. Farmersville, Texas has the distinction of having once been the Onion Capital of North Texas. From this location the Santa Fe railroad picked up bundles of onions for market from a multitude of "onion sheds". Several are still used as farmer's market venues, picnic pavilions in the town park, and refurbished in to office buildings. The town square (although its really a T rather than a square) has a do-wop diner. It was closed on Saturday afternoon, but the decor was precious... even snapped through a less than sparkling window.


More of the quaint, local ambiance.


This shot is for my kids.... they'll know why.


Finally we reached our destination. Lake Lavon. It was a very windy day and the water was white-capping far out into the center of the lake. The waves crashing against the beach were bigger than some I've seen at the Gulf. Really.



It was a good little jaunt. Probably no more than 80 miles round trip. But it put an end to the "no adventures" drought and refreshed my soul.

Then I actually had some more excitement which will be in the next post but not...

Until I upload more photos...

No comments: