...of Jaunts and Journeys

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

SO LITTLE TIME...


It's been almost a month since I last updated the blog and I decided it is time. I've been busy doing a little of everything, so although I am not doing anything terribly important, there seems to be so little time to accomplish much of anything, let alone keep current with my photographs.

A few weeks ago we got some snow and ice. I was wakened to the sound of periodic thumps against my bedroom window. Figuring it was ice falling off the roof or something equally mundane, I ignored it. But the thumping continued for the better part of an hour and I got curious enough to check it out. Here is what I found.....


A flock of cedar wax wings had attacked the red berries on my holly tree. The thumping was the occasional bird flying into the window. I never see these masked fellows except for ONE TIME each winter when they literally strip every berry from the hollies in my yard. Then they are gone as quickly as they came... until the next year.


Mixed in with the cedar wax wings were a few stray robins. Being familiar with robins (they are the state bird in the northern state where I was born), they tend to feed on the ground rather than in the trees. I can't decide if these stragglers were being industrious or lazy. Regardless, they waited on the ground for the berries that got bumped from the tree as the others were being consumed.


Naturally, in an attempt to get a closer picture, I scared the flock sufficiently to abandon the holly tree. They didn't go far as there were still plenty of the tasty red berries to scavenge. Instead they gathered in a higher tree nearby, waiting for me to leave o they could resume their meal uninterrupted.


On January 10th my sister got married to one of the nicest men I've had the pleasure to meet. They were polite enough to let me play wedding photographer for the event despite the fact I'd never attempted to do such a thing until that day. I learned a few things about what to do and not to do.

This adorable cake was my contribution. My sister decided she was going to forego having a wedding cake because there were too many other things to do with coordinating kids being in town during college break, etc. No wedding is complete without some sort of cake, so that is what I set out to do. I surprised them with the cake and I think it was really a surprise they had not expected. I was happy I accomplished that much!


The next Bride and Groom. My brother is marrying his high school sweetheart even though it is about 35 years later!! They will marry on March 9th. Again, I've been called upon to provide the photography services. This time I'll be a bit more prepared and a whole lot more professional. I will rent an external speedlite so I can avoid flashing people in the face with the built-in, almost useless flash that comes with the camera.


After all the wedding excitement and more activity than I can recall, I took a weekend drive to northeast Texas. Ate lunch in Bonham, Texas (Fannin County) and visited Bonham State Park. The park itself is very small, but the sky was a beautiful, crisp blue against which the bold colors of the flags were particularly striking. By the angle of the flags you can tell the wind was very brisk.


I was on my way to Honey Grove, Texas. I had a purpose for driving the distance, but I wandered into this quaint little town along the way and was urged to take a photo or two of the lone Main Street. I don't recall the name of the town, but it might have been Dodd City. Or Ector. Or Savoy. Or some town that was too small to even locate on the map as I try to remember its name.


Here is the reason I went to Honey Grove, Texas. Meet Arthur. He is a year old (or so) Yorkshire Terrier that needed a home. His owners had been renting a house from a landlord in Honey Grove. The renters vacated the property and "forgot" to take their precious little dog. The landlord kept the dog for a few weeks in case the owners "remembered" they had left something (or someone) behind. She was never contacted. Being a lover of dogs herself, she was prepared to give the dog a new home to fit in with her other 4 furry children. Her husband was adamant he needed to find a home for the orphaned boy. In steps Gena, lover of all things adoptable. (As evidenced by my children and all the other rescue animals I've owned or currently own).


Arthur is one smart little dog! He has already learned his name and is getting used to his 4-legged brothers (Clancy the golden retriever and Tabby the orange/white cat). He's current on his shots and heartworm medication; just waiting for his appointment for neutering. He is maybe all of 5 pounds. I hope to include him on some of my adventures and jaunts.

This past weekend, with the help of Ross, we put together a raised bed for my vegetable garden. It turned out better than I expected, so now I want to make another one for herbs and lettuce. My agenda includes having some good composted dirt and mulch delivered to the house so I can get my onions planted.


I am in the midst of a 6 week rose gardening class and will probably add another rose specimen or two to the yard. I am trying to grow Earth-Kind roses with as little watering as possible regardless of our scorching summer heat. Last summer I started a rose bed with 8 plants. I watered twice at most. They have all survived and already exhibit signs of spring growth. I am thrilled!

Until another day .....

No comments: