...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, April 04, 2009

ANOTHER YEAR....

As of today I have been on this planet for 54 years. Not really celebrating much. Ross helped me work in the yard a bit and he's promised to wash my vehicle this afternoon.

Here is a picture of a horse at the training facility where my sister and I are taking our lessons. I don't know this guy's name, but he didn't mind me scratching along his neck. There was another horse named Navajo who followed me along the fence no matter which way I turned. I got a kick out of that. In the past horses always seemed to dislike me. At last a horse had connected with me on some level. I was thrilled. (This isn't Navajo).



Last Sunday we drove to Rusk, Texas to board the Texas State Railroad steam engine for the hour and a half ride to Palestine, Texas. It was wonderful. The weather cooperated, the dogwoods were in bloom (the main reason for the jaunt), and the company was delightful. Here the train is rounding the bend as it pulled into the Rusk depot prior to departure.




Samples of the beautiful dogwood blossoms. I had no idea dogwood trees got very tall. For some reason I equated them more with a large bush.


We pulled into the Palestine station for a lunch break. Photo-ops abounded.


This was a close-up of the engine as it was disconnected from the cars and was backed up to go to the other end of the train for the ride back to Rusk.



We crossed quite a few trestles. This pond was full of lily pads. I bet it is gorgeous when they are blooming. It is still a bit early for lily pads. A cute story: on the way to Palestine we sat on one side of the train and then for the return trip we sat on the opposite side of the car so we could see the scenery we'd missed on the first leg of the journey. At one point everyone on the opposite side of us started laughing and clapping. A fisherman was on his boat in the pond as the train went past. He mooned the train!! Gave everyone a good chuckle and a memory.


More scenery along the tracks. There was a great deal of water standing as a result of spring storms. In a couple months the area will no doubt be begging for rain!



We passed this train engine turntable on the way back to Rusk. Too bad we didn't get to see it operate.


Once back in Rusk we got in the SUV and headed back to Palestine on the highway which parallels the train tracks. Palestine is the county seat and I wanted to photograph the courthouse as long as we were in the area. There were actually quite a few historical buildings in the small town. This church is the Sacred Heart Catholic Church and dates back to 1890 according to the cornerstone. An impressive structure for such a small community. The doors were locked so we were unable to visit the interior structure.

I had a great adventure riding this train. I wanted to do it for several years. Last year the train was not operating due to springtime flooding and the necessity to rebuild some of the washed out sections of track.


Tonight I am celebrating the birthday. H is taking me out to dinner after Mass. At least I think that is the case because he told me to dress up nice for Mass.


Until the next adventure.....








2 comments:

Lady Beekeeper said...

Happy Birthday!!

That looks like such a fun event! Loved the pictures!

Dionne said...

Happy, Happy {belated} birthday to you!
I hope you're having a fabulous week!
Cheers,
Dionne