...of Jaunts and Journeys

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

WHAT GOES ON IN MY WORLD

My grandmother is 93, going on 94 in a few weeks (about 10, I think). Recently she was in the hospital, was released to rehab, and now has returned to her assisted living apartment. I visited her the other day and took this picture. She is the only remaining grandparent I have.... I want her to live to be 1000 (although I know that won't happen).


I started taking horseback riding lessons this week! My sister and I decided to do it together! We are both past 50 and thought this might be something fun. If nothing else, it might give people something to talk about at our funerals. I adore ranch and farm animals. However, horses in particular do not seem to like me! I've been on a horse perhaps 3 times in my entire life (maybe 4) and each time I've gotten hurt. I've had a horse step on my foot, been bucked, been thrown off, and was wounded and permanently scarred from an improperly adjusted stirrup. Each time I was plunked on a horse, handed the reins, and told, "OK, here ya go." I've never been *taught* how to ride. Yesterday was our first lesson and I actually feel we learned a thing or two. Can't wait to get to the next lesson!

Last night I attended a play in which Ross has a part. Moliere Impromptu is the name. Here is the "write up" from the kids' Facebook page:

"In 1665 Versailles, the members of Moliere's Illustre Theatre have gathered to rehearse a new play commissioned by the King for a performance this very night. Everything is fine, except that the script is in horrible shape, the straight man wants to leave the troupe, marital spats are ripping the company apart, the intern is lobbying for a bigger part, and Mademoiselle Du Croisy can never remember her lines. A wickedly funny look at the magic of theater, translated and adapted from three short plays by Moliere."

It was cute and indeed very "French". The students did a wonderful job and I respect the drama teachers greatly for being able to get the teens interested in these sorts of activities. Actually, I have respect for ANY teacher who can "click" well with teens making them want to learn.

This weekend I have planned a picture taking trek to the woods of East Texas. The dogwood are in bloom and I hope to capture them as I ride the historical steam engine operated by the Texas Historical Railroad. The weather forecast is favorable to the outing so I should have some springtime photos to share after the journey.

One of my cousins is fond of scuba diving. He shared a website featuring an underwater camera installed at a coral reef on the island of Bonaire. I've been watching that lately. It is fascinating and I could watch for hours. I am always tickled when I see divers waving to the webcam. Here is the link if anyone is interested: Bonaire Webcam. It is live and the refresh rate can be adjusted to one's preference. (During Daylight Saving Time they are one hour ahead of CDT)

No doubt there is more I am forgetting to tell. Yes, Cindy, I know I need to get a package into the mail to you. It is on the agenda.

Until I find more time....

No comments: