...of Jaunts and Journeys

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

NIGHT-TIME QUIRKINESS

A couple of weeks ago my side-kick and I headed to the light rail station and boarded the train northbound to Downtown Plano. We intentionally departed around sunset so I could capture photos of the area at night. I used full "M"anual and no flash. The most fun part of photography [to me] is experimenting with the settings and the various combinations.

Downtown Plano, Texas is a lively place at night. You can hear laughter coming from open air patios as patrons listen to music and share meals. The downtown area has been revitalized as a result of the rail station. A repeat visit is definitely on the agenda!













Until a little later when I post photos from my weekend travels....

2 comments:

Robin in Short Pump said...

Nice night shots, Gena. Did you use a tripod? Question: how important is ISO when you're taking a long exposure on a tripod? Do you know what setting you used?

Gena in Dallas said...

Hi Robin --thanks for looking at the pics. I do not use a tripod on my walking excursions. Most of the pics in this post used ISO 1600 with f-stops between 3.5 and 8; no smaller aperture. The rule I use is "the longer the shutter speed, the higher the ISO" (except for fireworks). Some can get pretty grainy at 1600 but I don't blow-up pics for prints so it doesn't bother me too much. The main trick I use is to set my ISO high, focus on an object, then turn the dial until it shows the the correct exposure, and click without refocusing. I am talking only about these pics here and in dark settings where I am not using a flash. Nice thing about digital -- if it doesn't look good, delete and try again. -gena