...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, February 20, 2010

FISH VERSION OF 'HIDDEN OBJECT'

I've added some fish to the aquarium and now delight in watching them swim about. They are small and dwarfed further by the dimensions of their 70 gallon habitat. It was interesting as I shot pictures to note that I could see some of the fish hidden in the leaves or camouflaged by the rocks. This post serves no other purpose than a venue for the various pictures I took as I experimented with the manual camera settings settings. I am noting that 800 ISO is slightly better than the grainier 1600 ISO but just as effective in achieving 'stop action'. Shutter speed ranged from 1/200 to 1/250; f-stop varied from 5.0 - 6.3; flash was used. [Surely you didn't think I was such an advanced aquarist that I had trained the fish to hold a pose for the camera, did you?]





No doubt the 3 varieties of fish have been spotted. I have (5) O.B. Zebras (o.b. = orange blotch) known as Metriaclima estherae in the scientific world; (3) Pseudotropheus demasoni (the blue striped fish); (3) Labidochromis caeruleus or Yellow Labs. I am told that since these are aggressive, territorial fish the best way to control the aggression is to crowd them. Before taking this approach into consideration, I still have room for a few more. They can grow up to 4-5 inches in length and have a lifespan measured in years!




Until the next time....

No comments: