...of Jaunts and Journeys

Sunday, April 18, 2010

AN UNEXPECTED TRIP

On Friday I found myself driving to Houston to pick up my oldest son. He'd been living in the Houston area since last summer and decided that was not working out for him so he asked if I'd drive down to get him and bring him back to Dallas. No problem. However, since H went with me and it was only 45 miles (or so) from where his daughter is going to school, we also made a quick stop in Galveston to visit with her for a short time. The seawall was windy, the waves were high, the beaches were covered with high water. There is still evidence of the destruction from the previous hurricane as is visible by the lack of a structure being supported by the piers.



Pelicans. Lots of pelicans flew overhead as I stood on the seawall.


As we were leaving Galveston for the Texas mainland, the refineries were noted to be operating at full capacity. Usually I am leaving Galveston after dark so I don't get to see all these sights.


Another sight that I usually see after dark. The skyline of downtown Houston. On these jaunts to the coast the majority of pictures I seem to capture are through the windshield. More of Houston. I was mainly just playing with camera settings as we drove through rush hour traffic. H was driving, thank goodness. It took hours to put Houston behind us... literally.


Downtown Houston


Some of the buildings are interesting. However, it is tough to decide which skyline is better: Houston or Dallas.


Near Huntsville, Texas is a giant statue of Sam Houston along the interstate. Sam Houston was one of the founding fathers of Texas government.


Again, usually by the time we are driving past this statue it is well after dark, so it was a treat to capture it in the daylight.


The Texas wildflowers are in full bloom as evidenced by the endless blooms along the highways. The colors are wonderful: yellow, purple, white, blue, pink, orange. Sometimes they are in mixed groups; other times there are only one or 2 colors featured. Regardless, the wildflowers form a continuous border along all the major highways and interstates. Years ago Lady Bird Johnson was instrumental in accomplishing this through her campaign to beautify Texas.


It was a long trip, but my companions were terrific and the scenery was exquisite.

Until the next post...

2 comments:

Donna said...

My great, great, great uncle was Sam Houston, on my mom's side.

Gena in Dallas said...

How cool!! A nice bit of trivia. I don't know that I'd ever heard you mentioned that in the past. Did that knowledge make 7th grade Texas History any more exciting? LOL But it's still a cool thing to know. Hugs -gena