...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, April 05, 2008

It was a wonderful day.....

Yesterday was a wonderful day! It was my 53rd birthday and I had gotten it into my head by the time April 4 rolled around that it was going to be a lousy day with little or no celebration. I won't go into why I felt this way, but I was pleasantly surprised when it became one of the best birthdays in recent memory.


The bouquet of flowers above was courtesy of my sister. She showed up at my door in the afternoon with flowers and a beautiful purple butterfly balloon. When I was saying goodbye to her and walking her out to her car, the mail arrived and I received the next installment of a Christmas Block-of-the-Month (BOM). This was a shock because I just received the 2 previous months late in March.

While at the office in the morning I was presented with a large, wrapped box. Inside I found a portable "boombox" CD player. I wanted one of these to use when I am sitting by the pool, working in the yard, or heck... even working in my sewing room since it has no radio, television, or stereo.

Late in the day Friday I finally received a FedEx package for which I was waiting.... the main reason I was feeling glued to the house and unable to go about my usual business.

Went to Happy Hour and dinner at On the Border. The weather was gorgeous and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy margaritas.... mixed berry and then peach!!

Once dinner was over we went to the home of the "special other" in my life. He brought out another, almost-as-large-as-the-first-package box that surprised the daylights out of me. Inside was the lovely Jim Shore angel shown below. This gift made me feel very fortunate to have this man in my life. He understands that many quilters are fond of Jim Shore because of his incorporation of block patterns into his creations.


I am thrilled with the way this photo turned out. It is exactly the look I've been trying to achieve. When I take a close up I want the rest of the background to be little more than a dark blur. I don't know how I did it, but I succeeded!! LOL

After we watched a movie on television at the "special other's" house, he disappeared for a bit. I was shocked when he came out of the laundry room with a birthday cake..... not just any cake... but a frozen, ice cream cake!!! (He knows I am not much of a cake person).

It was a wonderful day and I was forced to resolve I better start being more appreciative of some of the people in my life... or else!!

Until I come back down to earth.....

No comments: