...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, August 02, 2008

*SIGH* of Contentment

All is right with the world again. The special other is home safely and I have made a serious dent in the pile of blocks needed to complete the Christmas quilt. I only have 22 more blocks to go! Wow....I've assembled 60 blocks since the post last Monday decrying the need to make "only" 82 more.

I did some very uncharacteristic things this weekend. First, I went to a local quilt shop to see the sample blocks they had on display for the upcoming 1st Saturday Club. I thought about signing up until I saw the blocks. I was very disappointed. None of the colors were anything I'd consider remotely interesting. So I walked away from the store empty handed. Didn't hurt my feelings one bit. I tried to find something to buy, I really did.

Then I went on a quest for some Guava Jelly. I have a recipe that calls for a glaze which contains guava jelly. The nearby "regular" grocery store didn't carry any. Knowing that guava is native to Mexico and regions south, I tried the Mexican food aisle at the grocery. Still no luck. I decided to try the Azteca Meat Market down the street. Yes, they had it, but talk about being out of my element. There was not one sign in the store posted in English.

I entertained thoughts of going to Goodwill or Salvation Army stores to find a replacement blender. I have bad luck with blenders. I usually break the jar/canister portion. This time the motor burned out. Well actually, the gear that turns the blade in the bottom of the pitcher got stripped. My son has no idea who did it, but he was the last one to use the blender to make an ice cream milk shake. Must have been a blender gremlin.

Now I am tired. It's been an exhausting week and a tiresome weekend. Tiresome because of the ungodly temperatures. It was still 99 degrees at 10:15 this evening when the news was broadcasting. Tomorrow the local meteorologists promise temperatures in excess of 107. Oh goody!!! Can hardly wait.

Until another time....

1 comment:

Lady Beekeeper said...

Hang in there - in another couple of months, the air will stop burning on the way to your lungs. :). Not really. 6 weeks, tops. Dallas in August - not for the faint of heart!

Glad things are going well even if it is hot. When I lived in OKC, I used to think Dallas must be hotternhades. Now that I live back East, it sounds pretty good.

Love your pictures - I'm glad I found your blog!

Penny