...of Jaunts and Journeys

Friday, July 17, 2009

IS IT EVER TOO LATE?

Is it ever too late to start a new venture? Apparently not. For the majority of my 54+ years I've wanted to have an aquarium. Finally I can claim ownership to a miniature encapsulation of freshwater life. Below are pictures (although not very good ones) of the tank immediately after it was set up. I've still got to tweak my settings when taking photos of lighted underwater scenery.

Tonight a few fish were added. My cousin is doing the setup so he is instructing me on what to do and not do as he goes along. I CAN'T DISTURB THE NEW FISH FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS!!! I want so badly to watch them swim. Supposedly any activity now can stress them even more than the move and it is better to not approach them, not feed them, not illuminate the water, etc. until they are settled.

The fish of choice are African cichlids - chosen for their wide variety of bright colors (and because I can't afford a gorgeous saltwater tank to exhibit brilliant reef fish). The fish added tonight are blue with black stripes. At the time they were placed in the tank they had gone pale due to the stress of being transported. I had no idea fish could fade their colors this way.

I will start experimenting with photos of fish just as soon as I can get close to them. The tank is only 20 gallons so there will never be huge quantities of fish inside. I will be happy with a few vibrant, striking specimens.




Until the next time....

No comments: