...of Jaunts and Journeys

Sunday, September 27, 2009

AN ADVENTURE WITH A TWIST

I've been to Decatur, Wise County, Texas in the past and have already recorded a photo of the county courthouse for my obsession with such structures. This was a revisit to Decatur with a different twist.

As I took photos I tried to put the "fill the frame" characteristic of good composition into practice. For whatever reason, that and the "rule of thirds" are the 2 hardest for me to achieve.

Regardless, did I ever mention that I love trains? I stopped the car on the shoulder of the highway to take the picture following this one. As I grabbed my camera from the gearbag I looked up and noticed the approaching train. I barely had time to remove the lens cap to get this shot.



This was the reason for the stop. As mentioned, I'd been to Decatur in the past but I must have entered town from a different highway because I sure don't remember seeing this Petrified Wood filling station. It was the beginning of a Texas Travel Camp built in the late 1920s and early 1930s. The link will take you to more information about this unique intact site. (The featured article is toward the bottom of the page.)


The Whistle Stop Cafe.... part of the above-mentioned travel camp.


This wonderful piece of architecture was previously unknown to me. As I drove the highway leading to town I could see the spire rising above the trees and incorrectly assumed it was the tower on the courthouse. I turned to discover this. It is known as "El Castile" or the Waggoner Mansion and is the remains of an estate built by one of the cattle barons of the 19th century, Daniel Waggoner. The link takes you to a site about the home and the family. Very interesting reading.


Now the special part about this adventure. I have a friend who is the sole caregiver to an elderly, disabled father. Before I went on this adventure I "kidnapped" her to accompany me. She needed a change of scenery and a respite, however brief. I hope I achieved that. She seemed to have fun and, if nothing else, returned home with a smile on her face. Will have to make it a point to do it again.

Until the next adventure...

No comments: