...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, October 03, 2009

HONEY GROVE, TEXAS

Autumn is the time of year when a large number of communities have their annual festivals. The weather is cooler, the farmers and ranchers have harvested their crops or sent their salable livestock to auction. Fall Festival, County Fair, Wild West Festival, Harvest Festival... you name it, there is a festival for it. Today happened to be the Davy Crockett Festival in Honey Grove, Texas. Supposedly Davy Crockett (of Texas Alamo fame) discovered this area when he camped there while on his way to join the Texas Army at the Alamo (San Antonio) in 1836.

Sights of the day....

A rusty iron staircase. Talk about solid!!! Not to mention it must weigh a great deal.



Although the weather was extremely pleasant (high in the mid 70s at most) this young lady shared a drink of water with her thirsty pet.


My maternal grandfather worked at the Allis-Chalmers tractor factory in West Allis, Wisconsin for as many years as I knew him up to the day he retired. He was a welder on the assembly line. Every time I see the signature orange paint of an Allis-Chalmers tractor I pause to smile. Oh how I miss him and wish I could talk with him once more. When I was a little girl I used to love sitting in his lap backwards with my ear against his chest. Then I'd wait for him to talk so I could hear the way the sound of his voice distorted in his chest cavity. I was probably a weird little girl!


The town of Windom, Texas. The city park was decorated for Fall. There were pumpkins, mums, and/or dried corn stalks at each light post.


We ventured to Achille, Oklahoma! The remains of the downtown retail district was abandoned and overgrown with weeds. For some reason I enjoy taking photographs of these otherwise depressed areas. They make me smile in a sad sort of way.... wondering what tales could be told from their former thriving days.



This is the Red River. The land on the left side of the river is Oklahoma; the land on the right is Texas. This was taken from atop the dam that separates Lake Texoma from the Red River.



It was a wonderful getaway on a comfortable day. My idea of PERFECT!


Until the next adventure....

No comments: