...of Jaunts and Journeys

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

NO VACANCY!!!

Last year I was excited when I heard owls near my yard every night. I was more than thrilled when I saw them visit my birdbaths at dusk during the hot evenings of summer.

I practically stay glued to the Owl Cams at multiple locations around the country. The feeling I get while watching Nature undisturbed has a powerful affect on me. So much so, that I began investigating how to attract owls to nest in one's yard. I found many designs available online, each one seeming fairly easy to construct. As I asked family members if they had this tool or that tool available to loan me as I pursued building an owl box, my cousin Mike said he had plenty of wood and the tools, too. I shared the various designs with him and he built a box.

About 2 weeks ago he was ready to mount the box in one of my trees. I'd not heard an owl in the area since late fall, but I was willing to wait.

Knowing that owls lay eggs in March, I also reasoned that it might be too late this year, but perhaps in subsequent years the box would get used by something!!

Tonight I was sitting on the patio after I puttered with the tomato plants. Then, I heard an owl. I thought I heard one the other night, but it was very distant. But this was different. It was very close. So close in fact, that I realized it had to be in one of my trees. Out of curiosity... and ever so slowly... I crept to a location where there was an unobstructed view of the owl box. There, sitting in the opening, was an OWL!!!!! A Screech Owl. I literally got goosebumps at the discovery.

Hurriedly, but inconspicuously, I grabbed the camera and snapped some photos. Here is the new tenant; first with the regular lens and then with the telephoto lens.




 To say I am thrilled is an understatement!!! Thanks, Mike, for making this possible.

Until I settle back to earth....


1 comment:

Karen said...

How awesome. I am sure this is something to see.