...of Jaunts and Journeys

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Great fun

Our adventure yesterday was terrific. We found all our connections with no problem and walked miles at the Fort Worth Stock Show. My body aches today. Don't know if it was from all the walking or if it is simply the cold dampness seeping into these ever-worsening arthritic bones.


Life in the big city is colorful at best. I am amazed at the audacity of some people. We were standing on the train platform, marveling at how helpful one particular man was being to the travelers and tourists. Each time a person wondered aloud how to find this or that, this guy had the answer. I was beginning to think he worked for the rail system. Turns out, as we were boarding the train he decided to approach us and ask for a dollar to augment the dollar in change he held in his hand. Why did he pick us? We didn't ask him for any directions. Did he ask all the others to whom he was being so helpful?





Here is the train before we board.

It was interesting to see the city from a different perspective. One of the first sights I recognized upon departure was the now infamous Grassy Knoll at Dealey Plaza where President John Kennedy was assassinated. The building to the left is the equally infamous Texas Schoolbook Depository from which Lee Harvey Oswald allegedly took the fatal shots. It is no longer called the depository, but is now referred to as The 6th Floor Museum. Oddly, as a citizen of Dallas, I've never been to any of these attractions. Ah well.... when I lived in Fort Worth I never got to Billy Bob's. Still have never been to that honky tonk!






On the return trip we stopped at Mockingbird Station, a restaurant and night-spot within walking distance of the rail station. (Hence the name..Mockingbird is the name of the street. It is near the SMU campus). One of our favorite restaurants is Rockfish. We ordered our "usual" Cream of Jalapeno Pepper soup. If you ever want to know what heaven tastes like, this is it. To my dismay, I've tried to duplicate this recipe many times in my own kitchen without success.

Ever predictable, the last leg of the journey had us approached by yet another upstanding Dallas citizen who prefaced his conversation this way, " I'm not a bum or anything, but do you think you could help me get home with a couple dollars?" I wonder what his definition is for "bum". Thank goodness my traveling companion is 6'3" and burly.

Now I plan to make some more BOM Dash of Christmas Spirit blocks. It is gloomy outside, there is no football on TV (although we did miss watching the Aggies beat OSU in basketball last night!), and my son has to work this afternoon. My agenda includes church, sewing, laundry, and perhaps an attempt at yet another variety of soup. (I am basically living on soup these days. After the 2 recent trips to the hospital with intestinal problems, I am steering clear of bulky, high-fiber meals). I made some superb Tortilla Soup the other night. It turned out so well I even surprised myself! However, it was a "dump this, add that, add a little of this". In other words, there is no written recipe and no doubt I'll never again be able to achieve the same excellence. Isn't life funny that way??

I'll see everyone in the blogging world later.




1 comment:

Perry said...

I would enjoy a train ride like that I think. There is a restaurant in the town square of Goliad that has that same soup, and you are right, it is wonderful!!! If I ever get to Dallas again I would like to go to Rockfish to eat. I have fond memories of the Egyptian Room on Mockingbird Lane. It had great, great pizza 50 years ago, lol.