...of Jaunts and Journeys

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I'M A GRANDMA.... X 14!!!!

I have a fish that has stopped eating. Tonight she appears to be taking her last breaths (so to speak). The other fish are picking on her and after consulting my aquarium guru/expert (aka my cousin) he convinced me to flush her so she doesn't get tortured by the others.

I trapped her in the net and then curiosity got the best of me. I wanted to know what the black stuff was in her mouth that was obviously preventing her from eating. It looked like rotten leaves. A baby popped out!!! Then I noted the black was still there so shook her (probably to death) until her mouth was clear. In the net I had FOURTEEN baby fish, all about 3/8" in length. These are mouth breeders so I wasn't surprised there were fry in her mouth.... just that she had so many. She is also no bigger than 2 or 2-1/2 inches in length so she seemed too small to be breeding.

I couldn't grab my camera, but someone posted this picture on the web and I borrowed it to show what the fry look like... and I sincerely apologize for not recognizing the owner of the pic. It was not labeled.

As I released them into the tank the big fish took after them like piranhas. I did see a few hiding in the rocks and in the plants. Perhaps one or two will make it.

At least I don't have to change diapers!!!



Until I can try to take a photo....

No comments: