...of Jaunts and Journeys

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Another HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!


Today is Harry's birthday. The picture above is one of my favorite pictures of him, taken in Iraq several years ago. Janelle shared a copy of this picture with me when she was doing some photo editing, sending, and sharing. (Thanks again, Janelle!! This is one of the best!)

It is difficult to describe Harry in succinct terms. He is a highly complex individual, but there is no one better with whom to share adventures and outings. He is fun to work with in the kitchen as we create exotic (or not) concoctions. He is 'game' for new things without hesitation, whether culinary or a destination. He has been there to help me in countless late night emergencies (trips to the ER), with mechanical failures during heavy downpours (flat tires in a parking lot), by providing rides to and from the hospital as I was admitted for various surgeries, and by offering calming moral support during visits to the principal's office when discipline problems with my wayward son arose so regularly. I can only hope that I am there for him in a time of need as much as he has been for me.

Harry is brutally honest, and at times "brutal" is putting it mildly. Yet there is a fairness to his rationale, even if, at the time, it isn't quite apparent. He never minces words, always speaks his mind, and LOVES to talk about any and every thing!!! (He'll deny this one, but it is true. We once spent several hours on one phone call.... and we only live a few blocks from each other. He says I am the one who goes on and on during a call, but he can definitely hold up his end of any conversation, and there are times when I have to admonish him for cutting me off and/or not letting me get a word in edgewise. Another thing he will deny!!)

When all is said and done, meeting and getting to know Harry and Janelle over the past 10+ years has been a blessing in my life. (It took me long enough to figure it out, didn't it???) Janelle has provided a glimpse of what having a daughter is like amidst the chaos and testosterone of raising nothing but my boys. Ross has mentioned that he considers Harry a positive male role-model; a very good thing since a male role-model, whether positive or otherwise, has always been in short supply for most of Ross's life (excepting his Papa, of course).


Tonight we are going for a special celebratory dinner. Afterwards we will enjoy a traditional birthday dessert. (Alas, I do not have enough candles to torch the thing... I mean it isn't large enough to hold all the candles... I mean I can't afford all that wax!!!) All kidding aside, I am looking forward to the evening.

Harry, happy birthday to you... and many more! Thank you for being a part of my world.

Until I change my mind,

Gena

1 comment:

Perry said...

I hope you and Harry have a wonderful day, Gena. You deserve some of those, that's for sure, lol.