...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, September 06, 2008

CONTINUING THE TREND...

Today I've been sewing. I got up early with plans for an outing, but those plans got rewritten and I put the at-home time to good use by sewing on some of my unfinished projects. (UFOs in the quilting world). The picture below shows some pillowcases to complement the Christmas quilt I just finished putting together. The fabric choices for the pillowcases are fabrics featured in the quilt. The set on the left are standard size and the cases on the right are king-sized. Now I can move forward getting the top layered, quilted, and bound.

I am changing my thinking on whether or not to get the Christmas quilt machine-quilted by a professional. I am nearing completion on a king-sized quilt top that will be on my bed during the non-Christmas season (i.e. the rest of the year). I am thinking it might be better to have the everyday quilt professionally done and then machine quilt the Christmas top myself. I am not that good at machine quilting and to do a king-size top will take a great deal of time. These are the identical reasons why I should have the more visible quilt done by a professional.


The blocks below are a sampling of the blocks I need to make in order to complete the other king-size quilt I am making for my bed. A total of 80 blocks need to be made. I have completed 19, have 19 more cut and ready to sew. Then there will be 40 more to make, but I at least have the prints "paired up" the way I want to make them. Huh??? Did you notice I only accounted for 78 blocks? That is because the first 2 blocks that I made were cut wrong and finished at the wrong size. I need to round up some scraps large enough to cut pieces for the 2 remaining blocks. I have plenty. Likewise, I will be making pillowcases to match this quilt, too. The backing fabric is on order and should be arriving in the mail within the next couple of days.


There are many plans for upcoming adventures. County fairs, wine festivals, Oktoberfest, a first-time outing to the baseball stadium to watch the Texas Rangers play the Detroit Tigers, and more. In the meantime we continue to swim and enjoy the sunshine. Not many signs of autumn around here yet!! Will share photos of these events as they become available.

Until then....

No comments: