...of Jaunts and Journeys

Friday, September 19, 2008

RECENT EVENTS

First, a quilting report: I am happy to say I only have TWO.... yes, only T-W-O more blocks to make before I can complete the assembly of my king-size quilt. Yippee!!!

Wednesday night we ventured to a Texas Ranger baseball game. The Rangers aren't known for anything great... no great record, no great players, no great pitchers, no great winning streaks. However, as a first time visitor to their [relatively] new ballpark, I can say at least that much about the Rangers is great! The ballpark is beautiful. From the street you can barely tell it is a stadium, looking more like an office complex than an outdoor sporting venue.


We were headed toward our seats, came around a bend in the ramp and BAM..... this was the sight to behold. This, of course, is the new stadium where the Dallas Cowboys will begin their season next year. I had no idea the two arenas were so close together.

The stands on the third base side (opposite from where we sat on the first base side).

Oh how I love the zoom lens!

Sadly, the score got worse!! The final was 17 - 4... not in favor of the Rangers!



Last night was the opening night of Addison [Texas] Oktoberfest. It is an annual event. I rarely drink ein Bier, but once a year I feel it is my obligation to renew the privilege to call myself German! (Heredity-speaking, I am over one-half German, with or without ein Bier!!)


There is something about polkas, accordions, yodeling, lederhosen, and oompah bands!


Getting the crowd in the act... or getting into the crowd?


Bavarian costumes. This group is at Oktoberfest every year. They do folk dancing demonstrations in addition to the Schuhplattler Tanzen. (Shoe-slapping dances; mainly "boastful" dances done by the men in an attempt to catch the eyes of the women as they pretend to ignore the men).


It has been an action packed few days with perfect weather for these outings. Cool nights and warm days.
Until the next adventure or two...

1 comment:

Perry said...

How fun, I remember Oktoberfest from Germany! Love the pics of the stadiums. Glad to see you having some fun!