...of Jaunts and Journeys

Friday, January 02, 2009

FINALLY FINISHED!!

At last I have completed this quilt. I started it in 2005 and it took me to 2009 to complete it. Now I am scared to put it on my bed!! Here is a picture of the whole quilt. No, the edges aren't wavy as seen in the photo. It is a king-size quilt and this is the largest area in which I could spread it out, and even then not successfully. The corners were against furniture and walls. Too little room to spread it out smoothly.


A woman named Penny did the quilting for me. I am so pleased with the results. This is the center medallion and Penny custom quilted the center and four corners (also this mariner's compass pattern).

It was difficult to select a quilting pattern that wasn't too dense. This quilt top has very many blocks of different patterns. It was busy enough without the quilting making it even "messier".


It is much easier to photograph the quilting from the solid back. This is one of the corner mariner's compass blocks.



This is an example of the overall quilting that is featured in the majority of blocks.


Notice the looping scrolls. Those are in the interior border of red.

The quilt is given the Kitty Seal of Approval. I've always said if a cat is attracted to a quilt as soon as it is spread on the floor (no matter at which stage of construction) it is a sign that the quilt is going to be a keeper. Yes, there have been quilt tops the cats have avoided like the plague, and sure enough, those quilts either didn't turn out like I had hoped or weren't snuggly warm!


Another close up of the quilting in the center medallion.


As soon as I get over the fear of putting it on my bed I'll take another photo. I also made matching pillowcases so I am anxious to see the final results put together.

Until another day.....






2 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, Penny did a wonderful job on that quilt, makes me want to get mine done but I don't think I want it to be a king size quilt, how would I trim that one down?

Perry said...

Looks just great!! Penny did do a good job on it; I am so glad. Now get the pillowcases made and let's see it on your bed!