...of Jaunts and Journeys

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Can you picture Juliet on this balcony? Or maybe Rapunzel in the turret waiting to be commanded to let down her hair? It definitely has the qualities of something written about in a long-ago setting.



However, more realistic than a fairy tale or a classic tragedy written half a millennium ago, this is the County Courthouse in Decatur, Texas.... county seat of Wise County, Texas. It is considered the "sister" to the courthouse in Waxahachie, Texas (Ellis County; I shared pictures from that excursion quite some time ago) because they were both built in the same time period and designed by the same architect, James Riely Gordon. The design is based on the cruciform plan and the Romanesque Revival architectural style.


Here is my attempt at a "picture perfect" postcard of autumn colors. (I better keep my day job). This was taken from the grounds of a museum, using the iron fence as my tripod.



Decatur is one of those towns with a retail square surrounding the courthouse. This ad was on the side of a building and convinced me I was transported to the 1940s. The price of the soda, the pharmacy designation, the brick streets.... I had a hard time remembering it was 2008.

And then there was this. This was more like it... now I felt "home". (Definitely more my price bracket than the turrets of the "castle" in the first picture!)


The latest addition to the ever-growing pile of batik sampler blocks. Harry commented he liked the colors in this one.


Until later.....

No comments: