...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, November 15, 2008

RELEARNING OLD TRICKS

To look out the window you'd think it was a warm, wonderful day. The sun is shining, there is a breeze stirring the leaves, and there isn't a cloud to be seen. However, it is more like winter than anything else. The temperature is near 50 with the winds putting a chill factor in the air to make it seem more like temps in the 30s.

So I've spent time staying warm and making blocks for a batik sampler I started YEARS ago. The pattern is by Lori Smith and each 7-1/2" (finished) block is comprised of many small pieces. The pattern contains 80+ of these blocks... and I just completed #12 and #13. I am no good at applique, so the handles on the baskets below are "raw edge" applique. That means when I wash the completed quilt the edges will fray and sort of curl up to cover the stitching so visible in the photo.


This block is without a doubt the most difficult block I've ever constructed. Jumping right in and cutting the pieces as called out in the pattern, I quickly figured out the ONLY way to assemble this block was by using y-seams almost exclusively. I have not done y-seams in even more years than since I started working on this pattern. I had to relearn and it was tough. I sewed, unsewed, and resewed multiple times. I finally decided it was done and I wasn't going to fuss with it any more. In retrospect, if I ever need to make another one, I will "think squares and half square triangles" to come up with my own pieces to assemble on the order of a 9-patch. I noted that on the pattern and from now on will look more closely at the cutting instructions before taking my first cut.

Until I have more pictures to share.....

No comments: