...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, December 13, 2008

A BLOCK.... AND THEN A BRAG

Here is the latest Block-of-the-Month for the Designer Mystery being offered through The Fat Quarter Shop. This was block seven.


Now a brag.... This was the weekend of the high school musical. The students have been practicing and working on this annual event since school started in August. Their efforts paid off handsomely in this production. Ross has always been involved in the drama and theater departments at school since he was in middle school. When he was in 6th grade he made his acting debut in a production of Macbeth. In seventh and eighth grade he discovered the world of technical theater and set out to learn all he could about lights, sound, taping, and editing. He used to always tell me that someday he was going to work in Hollywood on the movies. I always added that I would definitely like to be in the audience the night he accepted his first Oscar for his work. We'd laugh and he'd tell me he'd pay my way to get there for the event.

Once in high school, his passion for technical theater continued to blossom and grow even stronger. His intention is to study technical theater in college with a double major, including one in electrical or computer engineering. He has been accepted at all the colleges in which he has an interest in attending and now has to narrow it down to the best one.

I was mildly surprised when his senior year started and he added yet another "passion" to his schedule. Not only was he in technical theater, he was now in the show choir as well. He wanted to perform!!! I had assumed he had given up the "acting bug". Last night was his "re-debut" in a role.... it involved, acting, singing, and dancing. He has passed the baton of running the sound and lighting equipment to his successor and is having a ball exploring this aspect of theater again. And the odd thing is, he didn't start slowly and just do group scenes or be part of the ensemble cast. No, not Ross. He jumped right in feet first with a prominent role. What a cool kid he is!!!

The musical was called Road Trip and involved a family taking a vacation by driving across the country, visiting different locales. Ross played the part of Uncle Bob.

Here Ross is performing one of the dancing numbers. He is the one on his knees in the light colored suit.


This is Ross as a cowboy.



Meanwhile, back at the diner......


On the sunny beaches of California..... (Ross is in the white sleeveless t-shirt)


At Disneyland.... Ross and Woody singing a duet from Toy Story.


Narrating at the end of the play.....

The finale.....


This reminded me of the countless times I'd seen him on the stage at pep rallies as he did his cheerleader "thing".... He is introducing the cast members as they take final bows.

And as the musical ended, I suddenly felt very old. Not only had I once attended this same school and been in musicals on the very same stage, but I could see these kids were no longer kids. They were young people on the verge of adulthood. They were preparing to take on new roles. I could picture them as college students or workers in our society. In some ways I felt as though I was passing a baton of my own.... to the next generation!

Oh well..... and then Ross let me know that next week he was going to be staying late at school even though the musical was over. Next week starts tryouts and rehearsal for the UIL One-Act Play competition.... and yes, Ross is again trying out for an acting role rather than a behind-the-scenes techie. How I envy his energy, his passion, his future....but at the same time it is fun to watch rather than participate! Been there, done that!

Until another day....


1 comment:

Perry said...

Wow, Gena, it seems forever since we first "met" when the boys were younger. Thought you might not manage to get through it all at times. How wonderful that Ross has developed in such a way. I know how hard you have worked for all of your kids and how proud you must be. Congratulations to both of you!!! Keep it up Ross; then I can say I "knew him when".