...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, December 06, 2008

A SATURDAY ADVENTURE

I got up this morning and decided to go on an adventure. There had been one planned with Harry, but at the last minute he "rewrote" the agenda so I ventured on my own just to get some exercise and to keep from feeling sorry for myself because I wasn't doing the previously planned activity.

I headed to the nearest light rail (DART) station and boarded the train for Downtown Dallas. It was the morning of the Nieman-Marcus Adolphus Hotel Children's Christmas Parade. I knew it would be crowded but I figured it would be a good opportunity to play with the camera.

It was even more crowded than anticipated. A person could barely move along the sidewalks even if trying to simply pass behind the crowd. People were standing 25-30 deep, making all the sidewalks impassible. Secondly, as much as I love babies, and adored being a mom to small ones, I can't stand to be in a crowd with a multitude of strollers. Don't get me started!!! I particularly hate the kind that seat multiple children in which the kiddies sit next to each other facing forward. They are practically as wide as a compact car and the "drivers of said vehicles" don't use much common sense when it comes to commandeering these contraptions in a tight area.


The end result was I hung back away from the street, didn't see much, if any, of the parade, and just started capturing images as they struck my eye. Here is Reunion Tower. It is a restaurant and observation deck. The restaurant revolves 360 degrees in about one hour. Particularly enjoyable on a clear day! The last time I was in the tower my great aunt Marie was visiting from Washington D.C. She has been deceased for ages, so it was easily 30 years ago.


This mural on the side of a building was intriguing. Why exactly, I don't know... but I snapped a picture of it anyway. The parking lot of the building was adjacent to one of the local TV stations, so I don't know of any particular significance to the theme of the mural.

Here is the DART train pulling into one of the stations. I believe this was the Akard Station.


The CityPlace Station boasts some massive escalators. I got off at this station just to ride the escalators and take a photo. Silly, huh?


This is autumn in the big city. Small trees lining the avenue MIGHT turn a hue resembling fall. Sometimes they won't. This is on the street level of the CityPlace Station (which is underground and in a tunnel). In the foreground is the Streetcar Stop for boarding the old-fashioned replica streetcar available to take persons through West Village.... an area of lofts, condos, shops, and restaurants along McKinney Avenue.


And the photos below are about as Natural Autumn as you are going to get. The brush turns bright colors some years. This was in a field adjacent to the DART tracks at the station where I parked my vehicle.


My favorite. I can almost picture this as a jigsaw puzzle.


I have done no sewing. I did concoct a turkey casserole for supper. Patrick stopped by to see me again. Ross still isn't home from all-day rehearsal for the school musical (which is this coming week).

Until the urge to post strikes again.....


No comments: