...of Jaunts and Journeys

Monday, December 01, 2008

FIREWORKS!!!

Tonight was the annual Tree Lighting in the nearest adjacent suburb. It is always very festive and includes fireworks and a visit from Santa. The temperature is very chilly, making the hot cocoa and cookies taste extra good!

Since the intention this evening was to experiment with taking pictures of bright objects against a dark background I started with the spectacular sight of the crescent moon and planets Jupiter and Venus in the southwestern sky.


The fireworks began shortly thereafter. I was thrilled to get such colorful shots my first try. This photography thing is very gratifying!


And the star of the show.............

Until I take some more pictures....

3 comments:

Robin in Short Pump said...

Great shots, Gena. What were your camera settings? I have read that if you're shooting a full moon you need to use ISO100 which seems counterintuitive to me (hey, it's dark out, doesn't that mean you have to crank it up?) But I guess it's because a full moon is so bright. But fireworks and stars, that's something else. Did you use a tripod? Long shutter speed?

Robin

Gena in Dallas said...

Thanks for visitng, Robin. Tahnks too for your kind words regarding the pics. I pretty much keep the camera set on ISO100 for everything and used that last night. However, the next time I try fireworks I will experiment with ISO200. To take the fireworks I set the shutter speed to "bulb" and the aperture to f16. I used a tripod and the wide angle lens. I am a MAJOR amateur and have several manuals/photography guides I use as reference manuals when I want to try something new. Noce thing about digital cameras is no film gets ruined or money wasted developing bad shots. I have a great deal of fun. Hope you do too!

Perry said...

Love the pics, Gena!!!