...of Jaunts and Journeys

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

MERE HOURS AWAY....

It's been a busy day of Christmas preparations as no doubt it is in all Christian homes with but a few hours remaining until the celebration of the Lord's birth and the arrival of Santa Claus. (Trying to be politically correct here and covering all the bases of those who celebrate Christmas, with or without the religious meaning). My household is no exception. Today was cookie baking day. Ross and Janelle helped with the making.... and starting tomorrow they get first chance at the eating!

The older I get the more I feel the need to simplify and down-size the preparations. I used to have a HUGE tree that reached the ceiling. Now I use a couple smaller trees rather than the one large tree. They sit on tabletops which allows me to decorate them in themes. One tree is adorned with nothing but snowmen and snowman-themed ornaments. The criteria is that the snowman has to make me smile. In other words, no ugly snowmen!!! I lean toward primitive and rustic rather than glitzy and shiny. The only exception to the "all snowmen" rule is the string of bubble lights. This picture is dark, but I was experimenting with the natural light given off by the tree.



The other tree I have is what I call my International Tree. It features ornaments from around the world. Most of the ornaments were given to me after various family members and friends traveled abroad. Several came from a friend who works for the federal government and she is responsible for the White House ornaments which are always beautiful. We have several, but I am only showing one or two here. Each year it is different.



Ornaments here are from Greece, Ireland, and Hungary.


More from Hungary.


This lovely lady is from Spain.


And this Lovely Lady.... came from my government friend when she worked in New York City. She lived there during the 911 attack and I prayed very hard for her safety.

The Santa is from Russia.


The Snowman is also from Russia and is actually a set of nesting Snowmen..... the tiniest and last item in the "nest" is a Christmas tree. (I should have taken it apart before I took the photograph).


More lovely ladies..... The large angel with the halo is, of course, the Jim Shore angel Harry gave to me for my 53rd birthday. The other angel is one my parents gave me when I was in the hospital recuperating from surgery.

The International Tree has many more entries, but I'd use up my quota for photos if I showed them all. There are ornaments from Italy, Finland, Alaska, Germany, Portugal, Columbia, Netherlands, Egypt, Korea, Africa, and India... plus a few I've likely overlooked.... like from islands in the Mediterranean.

Time for me to get back to work. Merry Christmas to everyone.....

Until another time........


No comments: