...of Jaunts and Journeys

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Caught in a whirlwind

I've been busy and I'm literally forcing myself to sit down to update this blog.

Last weekend Harry and I attended the 26th (or was it 27th?) Annual North Texas Irish Festival. The weather was incredibly perfect for such an event. The temperature was nearly 80 on both Saturday and Sunday.

The Festival is held at the Texas State Fair grounds. Two of the larger exhibit buildings are used for booths of all things Irish, Gaelic, Druid, Scottish, English, Renaissance, etc. Inside each building there are at least 2 stages for musical acts. Someone is singing at any given moment. Outside in the plaza between the 2 buildings is a long, reflecting pool and fountain that is drained, allowing the walls of the fountain to be used for sitting to watch the main stage set at one end. The beer and mead flow freely, as does the corned beef, cabbage, shepherd's pie, Irish stew, and more goodies than you can possibly eat. I was particularly fond of the mead. Last year I preferred the Irish Whiskeys. Came away with a good mead buzz and a complimentary copy of The Other Boleyn Girl. I was a happy camper.




Then things got strange. On Monday, March 3 it was Ross's birthday as some of you read in the blog entry that day. A norther came through and by evening it was SNOWING!!! We got about an inch of snow that stuck to little more than the cold metal of automobiles parked in the wind. By the next morning it was all melted. So much for our winter blast in Dallas!

Today is nearly 70 again; tomorrow it will rain and be lucky to reach 40. Its a wonder we don't all have pneumonia this time of year.

Yesterday I went to a suburb south of town to meet and visit with some of Harry's former coworkers and fellow retirees. It was a fun afternoon. Got to look at some shotguns owned by one of his friends. We also sampled some spicy venison summer sausage a friend made from his last hunting adventure. Oh my, was it tasty!!

I was awed by the shotguns. Some were antique; others still in the box from the manufacturer. How I'd love to own one. My dad has some shotguns he used when he was a boy. I once asked if I could have one - or at least use one. I was given a resounding NO. I guess he wants to be buried with them... or else he thinks I am still 5 years old and could hurt myself. I need to talk to Mom about that one!!

Remington 12 ga.

Talked to Cindy this afternoon. I told her I'd received the next BOM installment for the Dash of Christmas Spirit project in the mail today. She was thoughtful enough to point out that I also need to start the pumpkin quilt I keep meaning to make!! We both agreed that if we couldn't buy another thing quilt related we'd have enough stuff on hand at home to keep us busy sewing for years. I'd bet Cindy and I are not alone in that regard. lol

Technically I should now go sew. Nah..... I still need to clean the kitchen, do some laundry, check the TV listing for tonight, read a chapter in the latest book that's collecting dust on my nightstand, run some errands, and more. I can always find something to do.

Until another day.....

No comments: