...of Jaunts and Journeys

Monday, March 03, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROSS!!

It all began in 1991


Today my son Ross celebrates his 17th birthday! The picture below is a picture of the very first time I held Ross when we were first introduced to him in March 1991 in Lubbock, Texas. It seems like yesterday, but I know so much has changed since that day.

Ross was adopted, as were all my sons. On each of their birthdays I find myself thinking about their respective birthmothers (none of the boys are biologically related). Silently I thank God that each chose to carry her baby to term for placement in an adoptive home. Ross's birthmother is deserving of extra thanks because she chose to respect the life inside her by abstaining from substances potentially harmful to a developing fetus (those who know our circumstances understand why this is worthy of special mention).

I wonder if the young women remember the day they gave birth to these boys. I wonder if they are haunted by the event or if they have chosen to think of it in a favorable way. I wonder if the boys have siblings of which they are unaware. (We do know that Ross has an older sister, and Patrick has at least one older brother and one younger sister).

Surely Ross's birthmother would be proud of the young man he is becoming. I know I sure am!!! It has been an honor to call him "my son".


After winning District Swim Meet - 2007

Ross, many more happy birthdays! May your future always remain as bright as it is today.

Love, Mom

3 comments:

Ross said...

:') thank you so mch mom this made me cry alot. im glad you are my mom and thank yu for everything. i love you with all my heart and i wouldnt want another mother except you

Perry said...

Happy Birthday Ross! You've done a great job, Gena!

Allyee said...

Awww! That's an adorable post Ms. Dyer!! I felt like crying myself, even worse when I read Ross's loving comment. He's a very special boy ((young man, whichever you want)) and you and I are both lucky to have him in our lives. I hope you have a wonderful week!