...of Jaunts and Journeys

Friday, March 14, 2008

Side-Tracked

Haven't had the chance to do any more batik sampler blocks and it is stressing me. Life certainly intervenes at the most inopportune moments.

I've been doing some genealogical research again. Its been ages since I did that, too. Quite unexpectedly I was provided a lead to some files online that pertained to some of my lines. Hit the jackpot!!! The discovery involved my 6th great-grandfather (GRAY). I was excited to learn that he fought in both the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 upon review of his military records. Not that I am particularly interested in military records, but I was provided yet another surname in my line (CARTWRIGHT). This is always a grand discovery!! My paternal lines in the USA go back to the Salem Witch trials (HERRICK)..... but my maternal lines didn't start arriving on these shores until 1739 or later (SCHUPP; pronounced like Shupe/Shoop) with the "Pennsylvania Dutch" in and around Dauphin and Lancaster counties. My maternal grandfather (MATOUSEK; from Czechoslovakia) didn't arrive until after 1900. This doesn't even take into consideration my Norwegian roots (1840s), my Irish ancestors (1850s), and the scores of Bavarian kin (1840s) that immigrated to this land. So I am definitely a Heinz 57..... mutt..... true American!!

A word about the tunes.... there is a definite mix, isn't there? You can skip songs by clicking on a song title more to your liking or you can stop the player by clicking on the little pause/stop symbol. These songs have all been a "favorite" at one time or another, for one reason or another. Some go back to the 60s when I first remember preferring some songs to others... some are from my high school days... some are 70s disco.... some are from college... some are recent when my kids started liking music. I'll likely keep adding to these as I think of more tunes to add to the playlist. I also like to rearrange them from time to time.

Until another time.....

No comments: