...of Jaunts and Journeys

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Greased Grooves***

I am in love!! With sincerest apologies to Homestead Hearth for using their photo of the quilt kit they are offering (click on the name/link and you can buy one for yourself!), I just had to show everyone the newest fabrics to capture my passion. No, I didn't buy the kit... but I *did* buy some yardage.

I am no lover of pastels (unless you mean those waxy little crayon-things that are probably not even spelled the same way... and please don't comment about the correct spelling; that isn't the point of my tirade)! Never have been; never will. But the name of this collection, combined with the visual and olfactory stimulation that take place make it impossible to resist. I can hear the waves softly lapping the sun-warmed beach. I can smell the suntan lotion. Put more succinctly, I am reminded exactly of a candle I purchased last summer made by The Yankee Candle Company. It was most aptly named Sun & Sand™ by the candlemaker. Again, the olfactory, visual, and auditory stimuli conjure up the beach, laughter, sunshine, suntan lotion, waves, etc.

So I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the prints in my mailbox. Now I can officially be ready for summer (we practically skip Spring in these parts; no point mentioning the half of week it occurs. Temps will approach 90 in the next couple of days. To some of you, that *is* summer). The inevitablility of turning on the air conditioner has been accepted. Winter is complete and life as we know it in this large city of cement, steel, pollution, and noise plunked right in the middle of the southern prairies can resume - the blinding glare of the sun, the sweltering heat that makes even the most dainty southern belle sweat gallons of perspiration..... and the self-imposed reminders that cement is *nearly* the same color as sand.... and if you look very carefully (and cross your eyes) the waves of heat rising from the pavement *sorta* resemble waves near a beach.... Thank goodness for fabric collections and candle fragrances!!!


***The title refers to a portion of a line from the movie based on John Huston's treatise of John Steinbeck's novels Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday. "Things were finally back to normal, on Cannery Row. Once more, the world was spinning in greased grooves." John Huston directed the movie Cannery Row which is actually a combination of the two aforementioned Steinbeck novels. It is unavailable on DVD, but if you ever have the chance, watch it. You will view Steinbeck in a whole new light.


Until I get back from enjoying the brilliant sunshine.....

1 comment:

Perry said...

Did you miss spring again? lol I am certainly ready for it. It is happening around here a little at a time, and my lilies are starting to show their happy whatever they are, lol. This is pretty fabric. There is a lot of that out there right now.