...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Back to Civilization *sigh*

I am back in Dallas after what proved to be a much needed change of pace, change of scenery, and change of attitude. I traveled to Athens.... Athens, Texas that is; population approaching 13,000.


We ventured to the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center to tour the hatcheries, walk the nature trails, and do some fishing. The trip was perfect in every way. We started with the nature trail, along which we learned about plants and animals indigenous to the state. I saw some bluebirds like the one shown below. I had not seen a bluebird since I was a little girl.


Next we went fishing. There were 2 types of fish they had stocked in the pond; rainbow trout and channel catfish. We could choose which one we wanted to catch by virtue of the bait supplied to us by the fishery. Harry opted for Rainbow Trout. He caught 2.



I chose to try for the channel catfish. I'd never really been fishing before now, so imagine my surprise that I was able to bait my hook, cast, and reel in a catch. Yes, I caught 3 catfish!! The largest was about 12" long and deserved to grow some more before making a tasty meal. I left the hook removal to Harry since I was afraid of being barbed by the whiskers and fins or injuring the fish too much for it to survive once released back into the waters.

We ended the adventure by driving to downtown Athens to eat in a hole-in-the-wall diner, hoping to find some good, old-fashioned diner cooking. We weren't disappointed.

Now, back to reality; back to civilization. I still have 14 BOM blocks cut out and all ready to start piecing. Tomorrow is the day I will begin to add the permanent tropical fish to the aquarium. Ross needs a ride to work tomorrow, there will be laundry to do, and more. Yup!! I am officially back to civilization.

Until later,

1 comment:

Perry said...

So you got to go fishing! That is wonderful! Glad you caught some fish. I would have opted for the trout. They taste a lot better than catfish. Love those Texas diners that have "good old food". They are getting harder to find.