...of Jaunts and Journeys

Saturday, February 09, 2008

the TREND continues....

For the past several days I have been busy doing activities that, when completed, leave no outward evidence that accomplishments have been made. I *hate* those sorts of tasks. Talk about thankless!!! (No, I don't really expect the teenagers to say [or even notice], "Gee, Mom, thanks for cleaning the baseboards in the family room").

I've been completing and preparing for the post office more than a few mail-in rebates. I don't know what it is about these things, but I always feel like I got a superior bargain if a rebate is associated with a purchase. Yes, it can be a hassle, but I remind myself money is money! The only rebates I tend to avoid are those from my wireless company because all they give are debit cards. No matter how I try, there is always a small balance remaining on the card that basically becomes useless and is never redeemed. I have one in my wallet at the moment with $1.26 on it. How can I spend that??? The point of this paragraph is that I'm now waiting for nearly $100 in rebates to make their way to me. That is a good chunk of change in my book.

I know some of you are experiencing sub-freezing temperatures, snow, and more. Here the temps are headed to the upper 70s with not a cloud in the sky. It is reasonable to think you might be envious of that kind of day in early February. That is the problem. It is EARLY February and we are already headed for temperatures approaching what some of you would call summer-like. It is much too early to be so close to running the air conditioner. I'm still paying on those bills from last summer!!

Broke down and bought a new coffee pot. This one is programmable. I've always wanted to be the sort of person who started the day with a cup of hot, aromatic coffee. However, by the time I get the household stirring, take care of the pets, and all the other morning things, there isn't time to make coffee, let alone drink it. So this is my assumed solution. I can prepare the coffee the night before, and it can brew right before my alarm goes off. I can drink coffee while I get ready. Now to perfect the ratio of ground coffee per cup! I had forgotten that each manufacturer (and coffeepot) is different.

Last night I attended a lovely banquet with my junior in high school. He was on the varsity cheerleading squad this year and this was the end-of-year banquet for the cheerleaders. We ate fajitas, rice, green salad, chips and salsa. However, I stuck to the salad and rice since I am observing the Lenten edict of no meat on Fridays. I enjoyed the meal anyway. Ross was named the Junior Cheerleader of the Year. This boy continues to make me very proud. Whenever I am feeling 'down' and think I am a failure as a mother (based on the behavior and delinquent tendancies of my 13 year old) I need look or think no further than my 2 oldest sons to get bolstered back into reality. I *have* done some things right or these 2 young men would not be as wonderful as everyone tells me. Patrick is the one who is making bad choices about his life, not me! He was raised the same way as the other two boys and yet they were capable of learning lessons from their mistakes that obviously continue to elude Patrick....the lessons, not the mistakes! I can feel my blood pressure rising. Time to move on.....

Today brings yet another adventure. Ross has to work, but Harry, Janelle, and I are traveling to the feed store in Garland to buy a baby bunny. Harry's last remaining bunny died a few days ago and I had a feeling at the time he'd be replacing it. I even called the feed store to see if they had any rabbit does available. They do, so that is our destination today. We will eat lunch at one of the quaint restaurants in the old downtown area. Garland is really revamping the area. It is within walking distance of the DART rail (Dallas area light rail system) station and a favorite Saturday pasttime of Harry's and mine. Today we will take a personal vehicle unless we use a crate to carry the bunny.

Time to get going....... hope everyone has a terrifc day and weekend.

Until another.....

No comments: