...of Jaunts and Journeys

Thursday, February 07, 2008

A question of age....

I don't know if I am getting old or if all my "stuff" is getting old. Today I am cleaning out lower kitchen cabinets in an attempt to make room for and organize the new cookware I bought a few weeks ago. My existing cookware is almost 35 years old and the handles are no longer able to be tightened because the plastic material around the screws has cracked and been scorched by all the heat of a cooktop. So I thought I'd be clever and buy new cookware with riveted handles and non-stick coating. So far I am really enjoying the convenience of these pots and pans, but I am finding it difficult to part with the old, broken pots. It is almost like giving up some of my youth! These were once a new set of pans acquired when I first set up my own household.

This means I need to find room in the cabinet for two sets of cookware. As I am rearranging the contents of the cabinets, I come across my electric frying pan/griddle that no longer heats properly. Then I must make a determination about the mini food processor that no longer works because the plastic 'teeth' on the center spindle have broken. The beaters no longer rotate in the portable electric mixer. I won't even mention the broken coffee pot, the burner that no longer lights on the cooktop, and a myriad of other calamities in my kitchen.

Oh, I'm making room in my cabinet all right!! How can so many things simultaneously be rendered no longer usable? Is it inconceivable that something made of metal is indestructable? Or what about items not used on a daily basis, like the food processor?

And so time gets spent working in the kitchen and when it is all finished there is no outward evidence that I've been busy doing a task for literally hours! Sheesh!! Makes a body wonder if it is worth it. I should have used the time to sew some blocks.

Until another time.....

1 comment:

Perry said...

My mantra is if it is broken, throw it away. We don't have enough cabinet space to keep things that don't work. As for you new cookware,you know if you keep both sets, you will always use the old one, don't you? lol Enjoy your bunny hunt! Take a picure of him when you get home.