...of Jaunts and Journeys

Monday, February 18, 2008

On a Roll

Things are on a roll. This is the fourth day on which I can report NO dead fish. I am deliriously happy about this. I am all excited about the prospect of getting closer to being able to add the tropical fish I originally planned to put in the tank.


I actually did some sewing this weekend. Now I am only one full installment behind for the Christmas BOM. When Cindy called she was able to thumb her nose at me because she is all caught up - just waiting for the next one to arrive in the mailbox.

Yesterday we rode the light rail (DART train) to one of the stations and then walked the couple blocks or so to Central Market. Central Market is an upscale grocery store, catering to those who prefer organics, exotics, unusual, expensive, and gourmet. We have a passion for the store's Black Pepper-Prosciutto Ficelle which, given the size of the tiny baguette, is very pricey (mainly due to the fact that the prosciutto they list in the ingredients is the brand one can find in their deli for $23.99 per pound)!

Ever on the quest to be thrifty and frugal, I got the brainy idea to experiment with making my own in my bread machine. Naturally, I had to buy a loaf of the real thing so I had a basis for comparison. Hence the trek to the Market. We never get out the door without spending more than originally intended. Harry bought two bottles of imported beer (one from Russia, the other from Bavaria) and a few other tasty delights. I bought a few things as well. At least I spent less than him. We each buy different things and then go home to share; that way we both get samples of the offerings without spending more than necessary. It works for us. However, he can keep the habenero stuffed olives to himself. They were so spicy I got a terrible case of the hiccups after eating just one!

Remember the new coffeepot and the problem with finding the right proportion of ground coffee to each cup? Problem solved. The coffeemaker has gradient markings on the water tank as does the carafe. I was using a pitcher to pour cold water into the tank until it reached the desired level/number of cups to brew. WRONG!!! Today I used the carafe and was amazed to learn that the equivalent marking on the side of the carafe did not come close to equaling the mark on the tank. Now I might be able to make a decent cup of coffee again. To make sure, I carefully perused the instruction manual and no place is this issue addressed.

Time to get back to rolling. I can smell the coffee I just brewed and need to sample the results.

Until I post again.....

1 comment:

Perry said...

so how was the coffee? And where are you on the jalapeno soup? Glad the fish are starting to live, lol. And don't let Cindy get ahead of you on that bom. You might want to do the one at the Fat Quarter Shop. It looks like it is going to be a good one too.