...of Jaunts and Journeys

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Fish Stories and other Tales

I've always wanted an aquarium. Several years ago I made an attempt at starting one, but thanks to the altruistic (?) nature of my youngest child (he was all of 4 or 5 at the time) the fish didn't last very long. He fed them some of his dinner one night. Tuna Noodle Casserole with Peas. Never did figure out if he was trying to be nice to the fish by sharing or politely get out of eating something he didn't particularly want to eat. End result: dead fish.

Once again the desire to have an established, flourishing aquarium has consumed me. I am totally envious of anyone with a good aquarium. They seem so easily maintained and yet so peaceful. Thanks to a certain "special other", I am now in possession of two mini-aquariums with which I can once again try to enjoy the serenity of watching fish swim.

He helped me get the thing connected and gave me helpful advice about which fish to start with to establish a balanced pH, etc. Although I had visions of beautiful scenery, colorful tropical fish, and live plants, I settled for plastic container, fake plants, and plain goldfish until the water gets conditioned properly.

Surprise! I am not off to a good start! Woke this morning to find cloudy water. Made a trek to the store to find a new filter; a filter that is no longer available. Featured prominently in the display of fish paraphenalia is a bottle of red liquid, promising to clear even the cloudiest of waters instantly! Don't fall for the sales tactic. It didn't work. So I baled out as much of the murky water as I dared and refilled it with the clear variety. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

To hear some people talk, I am nothing but a red-neck, country gal despite the fact I live in a metropolitan area inhabited by several million people. That may or may not be, but it doesn't change the fact that I have a very strong desire to go fishing for REAL fish.... fish that I catch, clean, cook, and eat.

I'd also like to go hunting for game some day. I am fascinated with shotguns; not in some twisted, demented, oh-my-god-we-need-to-keep-our-eyes-on-her way. I love the sound they make when fired. I like the smell. I like how it feels to put the butt to my shoulder and train my eye down the length of the barrel.

Now if only I could find someone with whom I could share these longings and be taken seriously enough to help me fulfill them... or better yet, someone who would let me venture along when he enjoyed these activites for himself. I doubt there is a man alive who would want a woman tagging along as he went hunting or fishing! Oh, he might not mind if she stayed back at the camp or cabin, preparing hearty meals for his return from the field. But to include a woman with the actually hunt? Those days... and men like that... are long done.

Until another time....

1 comment:

Idaho Quilter said...

I just read most of your blog, we have a lot in common, nascar, quilts, & fishing. I grew up in a hunting family, been on lots of deer hunts with brothers, they used me to scare them up. Thanks fo stopping by, I'll be back.