...of Jaunts and Journeys

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day to all....

A very Happy Valentine's Day to everyone. I hope the day is full of love and memories of candy hearts and paper Valentines.

I am developing quite a rejection complex. Yet another goldfish has died. This is getting ridiculous.
This afternoon I made some Valentine surprises for a few people on my "gotta give some love" list. The favorite goody I made was Olive Relish for only the best guinea pig an aspiring gourmand could desire, aka Harry. Every time I make this speciality it turns out slightly different. That could be because I have yet to put the recipe to paper. The recipe itself is sophomoric to prepare; a matter of proportions and then lots of chopping on a cutting board.




Gena's Spicy Olive Relish

1 6 oz. can small, pitted black olives; drained and coarsely chopped
9 oz. jar of Jalepeno Garlic Olives, drained, coarsely chopped; Mezzetta brand recommended.
(I use about two-thirds to three-quarters of the jar with one can of small pitted black olives. Yes, I chop the garlic cloves and jalepeno slices right along with the green olives. I basically "eyeball" equal parts of the black olives to the green)
2 teaspoons of diced pimento, drained and chopped finely.

Mix together in a plastic container, drizzle a bit of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil... can you tell I watch Rachael Ray??) to provide some moisture to hold it together. Cover and refrigerate until time to open the bottle of wine. Stir slightly and spoon into a serving dish. Serve with small round crackers. Enjoy!!


This has become a favorite pairing with a glass of wine. I've taken it to parties and received rave reviews. But watch out!! If there are any true olive lovers around there won't be any left for sharing with the others.

Now I need to get busy making some other goodies. Until the next time... or when the next fish dies, whichever comes first.............

1 comment:

Perry said...

This sounds delicious!! I will have to try it, and give it to my girls to try. Sorry about the goldfish! I am going to "put you on the map", so to speak, the next time I blog. Since it looks like you are going to be pretty regular with your posts, I will put the word out that you are blogging! Hugs!